Finding Qualified Professionals to Help Children with Special Needs in Bronx, New York

Are you looking for qualified professionals to help your child with special needs in Bronx? This resource guide was created by NYC Department of Health & Mental Hygiene to assist families & service providers.

Finding Qualified Professionals to Help Children with Special Needs in Bronx, New York

Are you a parent of a child with special needs in Bronx, New York? If so, you may be wondering how to find qualified professionals to help your child. This resource guide, created by the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, was developed to assist families, service coordinators, and service providers in finding the right professionals for their children. The first step is to determine if you are eligible for services and supports. You can do this by searching for a provider using the list provided.

Each type of therapy (speech, occupational therapy, physical therapy, etc.) is divided by municipality and listed in alphabetical order. The AFC Parent Center is the core of the organization dedicated to supporting parents in their fight for quality education for their children. Through this center, parents of children with disabilities aged 0-26 can receive training, information, and assistance from professionals who work with them. Workshops are available in English and Spanish in every community in New York City to prepare parents to effectively advocate for their children's education-related rights in the public school system. Parents and family members are critical partners in their children's education. They provide essential information to teachers and administrators, play an important role in the decisions that are made about their children, and can be key to supporting their children's high expectations during their school years. If you are looking for help for your child, start with the people who know them best - whether that's a classroom teacher or another trusted adult from the school.

You can also contact a counselor or social worker at the school, an assistant principal or principal, or the parent coordinator. Each school has a counseling plan with contact information on their education department's home page under the “reports” tab. Mediation in special education is a voluntary process in which you and the school district resolve disagreements about CSE or CPSE recommendations. As a parent of a child with a disability or a suspected disability, you will receive notices to inform you about proposed special education services, meetings, and your rights. This document provides information to parents, guardians and other family members about laws, regulations, and policies affecting special education programs and services. The referral may result in a request for your child to be tested to see if he or she needs special education services. The public will be served by qualified and ethical professionals who keep up with the best practices in their fields and reflect the diversity of New York State.

Evaluations include information from parents and from a group of evaluators, including at least one special education teacher or other person with knowledge of their child's (supposed) disability. If you are concerned about your child's educational programs or special education services, contact your child's teacher immediately and share information about what you see. By asking questions and discussing information with you and the school district representative, the mediator helps both parties to better understand the other party's concerns and to reach an agreement on your child's special education program in a cooperative and timely manner. If eligible, at age five your child may be recommended to receive special education services or programs in the district kindergarten program or other educational setting. In addition, a person from an Early Childhood Counseling Center, an approved preschool program, or an early intervention program that serves children with disabilities from birth to three years of age can also make a referral. You and a person elected by the Board of Education meet with a qualified and impartial mediator from your county's Community Dispute Resolution Center (CDRC), who will help you reach an agreement on the recommendation for your child. Your child is not removed from education in a normal classroom with other children of the same age just because the general curriculum needs to be modified.

Together, you'll work to ensure that special education programs and services are provided to meet your child's needs. Requests for additional copies of this publication can be made by contacting the VESID Special Education Policy Unit, room 1624 OCP, Albany, NY 12234 or your local SETRC. Based on data, findings, and interviews with professionals, special education advocates, and parents of students with disabilities, this document makes recommendations for addressing barriers to CTE. This is part of an ongoing collaboration series between Chalkbeat, THE CITY, and ProPublica that investigates learning differences, special education, and other educational challenges in city schools.