Accessing Medical Services for Children with Special Needs in Bronx, New York

Are you a parent of a child with special needs in Bronx NY? Learn how you can access medical services & resources available for your child.

Accessing Medical Services for Children with Special Needs in Bronx, New York

Are you a parent of a child with special needs in Bronx, New York? If so, you may be wondering how to access the medical services your child needs. Fortunately, there are a number of resources available to help you get the care your child needs. The first step is to talk to a social worker for help. Ask your child's doctor to refer you to one.

Alternatively, you can call 311 and request “Early Intervention Evaluation Services”. Parents of children from birth to three years of age should request a comprehensive evaluation by contacting Early Intervention Services. Services available include special education and physical, occupational, and speech therapy. You can also contact Early Intervention Services or call 311 for more information.

The Program for Children and Youth with Special Health Care Needs seeks to improve the system of care for children and young people with special health care needs from birth to 21 years of age and their families. This program helps shape public policies so that families can get the best health care for their children. ACCESS NYC is an online public evaluation tool that you can use to determine the municipal, state, and federal health and human services benefit programs you might be eligible to enroll in. This is a great resource for parents who need help accessing medical services for their children with special needs. Parents and family members are critical partners in their children's education. They provide essential information to teachers and administrators, play an important role in the decisions that are made about their children, and can be key to supporting their children's high expectations during their school years.

The Archdiocese of New York is committed to providing children with special needs with an education that meets their spiritual, academic, emotional, and social needs. Students with special needs thrive in our Catholic schools, as we offer a nurturing, accepting, faith-based environment, with a focus on individual strengths and abilities to help each child achieve their God-given potential. If you do not give your consent for your preschooler (age 3) to be evaluated, the Preschool Special Education Committee will take steps to ensure that you have received and understood the request for consent for your child's evaluation, but the district will not be able to proceed without your consent. These non-residential and non-medical service centers offer education and awareness-raising activities in their communities to break down barriers and allow people with disabilities to participate fully in community life. Caregivers of children or adults with special needs often face serious problems and stress as a result of balancing the needs of their child or adult with special needs with the needs of other family members. Interim Alternative Educational Environment (IAES) for Disciplinary Purposes is available if your child is receiving services at an IAES for disciplinary purposes.

You must remain in that IAES until an impartial hearing officer makes a decision about placement or until the expulsion period ends (but no more than 45 calendar days), unless you and the school district agree otherwise. Johnson, Upstate Regional Coordinator (51 473-1185) Patricia Shubert, New York City Regional Coordinator (71 722-4544) Regional special education offices are responsible for monitoring special education services through a collaborative quality assurance system and for providing technical assistance to schools and residents in their regions. You must have the opportunity to participate in the process of discussing and making decisions about your child's need for special education. LRE means that the placement of students with disabilities in special classes, separate schools, or other forms of detachment from the regular educational environment occurs only when the nature or severity of the disability is such that, even with the use of complementary aids and services, education cannot be successfully achieved. If your child is being evaluated for the first time to decide if they have a disability, the Board of Education must organize appropriate special education programs and services within 60 school days after receiving your consent to evaluate your child. For three- and four-year-old children, the school district cannot initiate a hearing if you refuse to consent to your child's initial evaluation or initial special education provision. Your child is not removed from education in a normal classroom with other children of the same age just because the general curriculum needs to be modified. Intrepid Museum's Education and Access team organizes a series of special tours, camps, and hands-on learning opportunities for those interested in history and STEM. The series supports families of students with disabilities by offering sessions on topics related to special education. Each school district has a CPSE (Committee on Preschool Special Education) and a CSE (Committee on Special Education) that decide the child's special education needs and services.

The Archdiocese of New York has added the Enhanced Special Education Program at Incarnation School in Manhattan. A written statement that you can request so that the additional parent member of the Committee does not participate in the Committee meeting is also available. The Council on Children and Families is charged with acting as a neutral body to coordinate New York's health, education, and human services system to ensure that all children and families in New York State have the opportunity to achieve their potential.